This morning I drove through the wrong entrance of the base gates and it was quite the scene. There were cones placed all around the entrance gates which made trying to see the actual driving lane a little confusing (at least for me). In front of me was a UPS truck. Naturally, I followed behind it, happy to have someone in front to guide me in.
Well, the UPS truck went to the commercial vehicle lane...and so did I...following right behind him.
In no time at all, the guards left their duty posts, madly waving me into the proper lane (red flags and all). The problem was, I had confused the cars behind me and now there was a whole line of cars in the commercial vehicle lane.
With my window down watching the guards while simultaenously telling my toddler how embarrassed I was, I apologized to the guards (who were frantically running around trying to get the cars straightened out). Once I showed my ID card to the guard who waved me through with a scolding glance, I sped away...only to remember how strictly the speed limit is enforced on military posts. I slowed down to the 15 mph speed limit and wished at that moment I had been able to turn my car into a plane and fly away from the ten cars I slowed down by not being able to figure out how to get my car through the cones!
In the grand scheme of things, it's a funny story. At least it's funnier now than it was at 8:00 this morning!
Monday, October 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment