Tuesday, December 7, 2010


ARNORTH Change of Command
Photo by Sgt. Joshua R. Ford
January 07, 2009
Lt. Gen. Thomas R. Turner (center), commanding general, U.S. Army North (ARNORTH) presides over the ARNORTH Headquarters and Headquarters Company change of command ceremony Jan. 6, 2009, at Fort Sam Houston.

(Just a random picture I found online to show the formal passing of the flag from commanders)


This morning I attended a change of command ceremony for a friend. These are formal gatherings typically held outside. Guests sit under a tent while the company stands before its new and about-to-be former commander. The battalion commander speaks about both soldiers and then each commander addresses his soldiers in formation as well as the guests. Traditionally, the wife of the outgoing commander gets red roses as a farewell and the wife of the incoming commander gets yellow roses as a welcome.

After the commanders speak, all of the soldiers sing a couple of songs. I only recognized the Army Anthem. My son even asked me if they could sing that one again, he liked it so much. I think I remember liking it as a kid too (The Caissons Go Rolling Along).

The 1 year old daughter of my friend (whose husband the ceremony was for) even saluted the formation of soldiers on the field when the soldiers saluted their new commander.

Max was in Afghanistan when he took command of his company so I wasn't there (obviously) for his. But, it's kind of emotional to watch a ceremony like this because the outgoing commander has been through so much with his soldiers. The exiting commander today choked up while giving his speech. There's a lot about this job that we, on the home front, won't ever fully understand. When he gave his call sign and said "out" at the end, even I got teary eyed. Then, my friend, after his speech said his call sign followed by "in position, ready to fire." They switched standing positions and then then the new commander went in front of his soldiers and saluted the first sergeant.

Getting used to change is a must in the military world. I've noticed througout my nearly 5 years as an Army wife that some people take change better than others (this includes the Army wives too!).

1 comment:

  1. peggy and dan wish you a merry christmas!!!
    All the best to you in 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete