Not too long ago I was sitting at the colonel's wife's house for a monthly coffee. It was around dinner time and there was a handful of other army wives there. People had gone through the buffet line and were seated around the dining room table chatting with one another. During a lull in the various conversations, the colonel's wife welcomed everybody and began talking about upcoming important dates and events.
It's funny for me to think back 5 years to when I first began going to these FRG meetings. I was a total newbie and relatively low on the military wife spectrum in terms of my husband's rank and responsibilities. Now, 5 deployments and several years later, it's weird to know that I am the position that I once thought was so "formal." The funny part is: it's really not at all formal and somehow, while a lot has happened in 5 years, I still feel like that newbie 29 year-old. Too bad I don't look like her anymore...
I digress. Back to the coffee night.
The colonel's wife kept referring to "the greens," saying things like, "We'll talk to the greens about it and see if they agree." I sat there trying to figure out who these mysterious "greens" were and if I had met them before. Finally, when she paused for questions, I raised my hand, simultaneously asking aloud who the greens were to which she kept referring.
"The greens are our husbands; you know...uniforms...green."
We all started laughing. And there I sat: 5 years as an army wife, just as clueless as when it all began.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is a constant learning process as a military spouse, and your personal account colorfully describes the experience! Kudos to you on consistently maintaining a blog that connects with readers to give an intimate view of life as an Army wife, and a slice of what soldiers/servicemembers and their families must navigate in today's society. Keep it up, and thank you!
ReplyDelete