It can be somewhat isolating living away from other military folks with deployed spouses. I'm reminded of this whenever I receive an E Army Family update (an email sent by the Rear Detachment Commander), notifying us (family members) of the most recent combat fatalities and/or injuries.
These emails pop up at random times. This morning when I received one, I was at the park with my son. I often envision my husband and son playing at the park together. When Max left, our baby was only ten months old.
As I open these emails, I'm reminded that he's not just away; he's away at war.
To be completely honest, I feel a sense of relief when I learn that the casualty was not in my husband's company. But, then that relief is met with sadness, just knowing that a family somewhere is shattered. And that irony disturbs me.
Max once said to someone, and I overheard, "There's nothing pleasant about war." I think about his words all the time.
Saturday, March 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment