Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I finally feel settled from the move...well, at least the Internet is up and running. Without it, I felt like I was in a time warp!

I've joined the Family Readiness Group (FRG). I am the co-leader of the FRG for the company Max commands: Charlie Company, 1-17 Infantry. The FRG is a command sponsored organization of spouses who provide support and activities to increase the resiliency for soldiers and their families, particularly during deployments.

It's been interesting reintegrating into the Army wife culture after living away from it for over a year. Not that I wasn't an Army wife in San Francisco; there just wasn't that community around me (but,there was a lot of family and many good friends there!).

I know the women I've joined here at Ft. Lewis (now called Joint Base Lewis-McChord, but I can't bring myself to call it that) went through a very challenging year together. They, as FRG leaders, helped all of the Gold Star Families (families who have lost family members in war) who were coping with their losses, and at the same time, worried about and missed their own spouses.

I met a lady whose husband was a company commander just like Max. He was killed last August, shortly after they deployed. She gave birth to their baby girl, whom he never got to meet. I don't think one day has passed that I haven't thought about her. I don't know her well, but she is one of those people who seems to exude positive energy. I admire her strength...the strength she's had to get through the past year and the strength she'll have to have for the future of raising her three children. And to imagine what it must feel like to be around all her friends whose husbands have now returned...

One really amazing thing about the community...it's like a big family. I look forward to getting to know everyone while we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment