Yesterday, Oliver and I went to the Change of Command ceremony on post. The event signified the change of the battalion's Colonels. The battalion was assembled on Watkins Field on Joint Base Lewis McChord (why they changed the post's name from Ft. Lewis to that, I'll never know) and the soldiers were in formation by company.
Oliver and I sat in the bleachers to watch the event. Of course, from that far away, I couldn't tell which soldier was Max, let alone which company was his.
Oliver's favorite part of the ceremony was the band...he particularly liked the buglers and the drummers. He seemed to get a kick out of the marching too. Every time the band rested and someone important spoke, Oliver would look at me, point to the band and ask me to make them play "again!"
When Max marched his company by where we were sitting, Oliver waved and called out to dad. I don't think he understood why Max didn't look at him and wave back. I tried to explain it, but who knows...
Personally, I was really thankful for the Army's band. Not only was its contribution spirited and nice, it kept my toddler entertained for the duration of the ceremony!
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment