Wednesday, September 29, 2010

One needs a military ID in order to get on a military base. If you don't have one, you will have to drive to the visitor's center, show them your license and proof of insurance and they'll issue you a pass. It's a pain...especially if you've temporarily lost your military ID card.

This morning, before I drove out of my garage, I took my military ID card out of my wallet and put it on top of my bag which was resting on the passenger's seat. Ten minutes later, just as I was approaching the entrance gate, I noticed my ID card was no longer on top of my bag.

What could have happened to it? I never turned quickly or went up a steep hill. It was a flat, boring and quick drive a mere 2 exits up the freeway.

I felt a sense of panic as it was too late to turn away from the gate. I was going to have to go through and explain to the guard that somehow, I lost my ID on the drive there.

I rolled down my window as the guard put up his hand gesturing me to stop (I wonder what would have happened if I had sped through the gate, right by him...kidding, I would never have done that). "Sir, I took my military out and put it down in my car and now I can't find it." I explained, embarrassed.

He looked at the driver's license which I was hoping he'd think was good enough and just let me through. "You'll need to pull over and find it if you really have your card in the car.

Did I really look like I was lying? I even had the post's DCAL on my car windshield! I really did not want to take the extra time to go to the visitor's center when I had my own ID.

Knowing the rules were the rules (and that there was a long line of cars piling up behind me), I pulled over. Within a couple of minutes of frantically rummaging around my car's front seats, the ID appeared...just like that...in the tray below the emergency brake. I swear it wasn't there before.

I waved to the guard that I found it. He sent someone over to inspect its authenticity and alas, I was on my way.

I decided from now on, I will just keep the card in my wallet until I actually get to the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment