There are some tried and true Army wives out there. Their bumper stickers so zealously display: “I married my hero.” “Half my heart is in Iraq.” “Army Wife: Toughest Job in the Army.” I’d see them on cars around Savannah, particularly on post. In fact, Max gave my mom a Ranger Battalion yellow ribbon magnet for her car that said, “Sua Sponte (of one’s own will),” which was the slogan for his unit: the 1/75 (1st Ranger Battalion, 75 Infantry Regiment). My mom’s car might be one of ten that I’ve ever seen driving around San Francisco with a military ribbon on affixed to its trunk…in four years.
I have met women whose entire identity unequivocally embodies being a military wife. While it would never occur to me to even think of these bumper sticker slogans as a part of my everyday life, they were not all together untrue. The “stand by your man” mentality was ardently carried out by many Army wives. Some wore their husband’s unit as a pendant around their neck. Max, actually once brought me a pendant with the Ranger crest on one side and Saint Michael, the Patron of Paratroopers (yes, indeed there is one, I looked it up) on the other.
“All the wives wear them,” he explained, handing it to me. Of course, not all of the wives wore them, but several did. I remember looking at it, thinking that I might wear it. But, I never did. In fact, I never wore necklaces period...not even on my wedding day. I kept it in my jewelry box though, with the other jewelry I rarely wore and did appreciate its sentiment. Every so often Max asked me why I never wore it. I told him that I will, one day. And who knows, maybe I will. There were also wives who had their husband’s unit tattooed on their ankle.
Now that’s commitment.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment