Sunday, December 13, 2009

Last month I got a phone call from a good friend of mine from high school. She explained that she and her husband wanted to send a care package to Max and was wondering what kinds of things he'd enjoy. She said that they were going to send out a mass email to their friends who might also like to contribute to the care package. When I received a copy of that email, I was so touched by their thoughtfulness. Not only do they have a new baby, but they are both very busy people (and he is a firefighter in SF). I know their care package will brighten Max's day. Friendships are really special.

A few days later, I got a call from my friend in Quantico. She and I speak regularly but that day she was calling to get Max's address. I figured she was extremely organized and getting her holiday card list ready way in advance. I thought it was sweet of her to think to send Max a card; her children always made him smile. We were getting ready to hang up when she asked, "How many people are in Max's company?" I answered just short of 200. She said excitedly, "OK, I am going to get everyone in the school (on Quantico's base) to make a card and all of the parents and friends I know to make a card. That way, each soldier will have a handmade card. We will also bake enough to feed the whole company and I'll send it off in time for the holidays." I was speechless.

Many other family members and friends have sent emails, cards, packages and supplies overseas. Max continues to be touched by all of the support and thoughtfulness. Needless to say, so am I. Of course, the packages are fun but equally as special are simple thoughts and quiet well-wishes. Every little thing counts. As always, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. May I have the address too! I'd love to send some cards of gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie, It was our pleasure sending the care packages and our small way of thanking them. I know the kids cards will make them smile. One child wrote, "Do you get to ride a camel?" Others said, "We hope you win." If only it was so simple! Our thought and prayers are with them and their families!

    ReplyDelete