Monday, December 7, 2009

Deployment Picture Books in San Francisco?

I realized once again that I was worlds away from any military community when I desperately tried to find a read aloud picture book for children about deployments. I am trying to make the topic of deployment relatable to elementary school children. What better way to do that than through a picture book? Well, the employees at several local bookstores looked at me with that proverbial blank stare when I inquired about whether or not such a book was in their inventory. No such luck. Amazon to the rescue!

Now I am curious as to which cities or towns have bookstores that carry these types of books for children. I will be doing some research...do military town bookstores carry children's books that illustrate the emotions and experiences of having a parent deployed? If they don't....they should!

2 comments:

  1. I read your article that was in the Chronicle. You stated that it was important to have a united citizenry behind the troops. I was wondering what you meant by that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for reading my article. By "united citizenry," I mean "support the troops." People's opinions about the war as a subject, can be very polarizing and complex. But, I think the common sentiment behind supporting the troops is an important focus and it's certainly important to those of us with family members and friends who have been/are deployed.

    ReplyDelete