Friday, December 11, 2009

Really?

I have had conversations with people about my husband being in the Army in some interesting places: on airplanes, with neighbors, in line at Starbucks, at the park and so on. Today however, I had a brief conversation with someone and it completely threw me off.

The grocery store checker asked me if I was getting ready for the holidays. I replied that I was and threw in that my husband was overseas so I was getting a package ready to send to him. He stopped scanning my items and looked up, "Oh wow; he's in the service?" I swiped my card and nodded my head, "Yeah, he's in the Army." He resumed scanning. "So he's in Afghanistan?" he asked. Again, I nodded my head, "Yup." "That's so cool," this time he was the one nodding.

"Really, it is?" I asked a little surprised. I've never had anyone tell me that it was cool to have my husband deployed to combat. "Sure it is; he's a hero to me," the man said, looking me right in the eyes, "And that's cool."

I guess that is cool...especially in San Francisco!

3 comments:

  1. What a NICE surprise! I think we take for granted that everyone knows we're still at war, especially when you live in a "military" town. I've been doing military casework for the American Red Cross and am surprised at how many of our Guard and Reserve families are suffering because they haven't built up a network of support through the deployment. They don't think they can mention to anyone (even the store clerk)that their loved one is deployed. Makes me wish I could drag them to an FRG meeting of social to prove to them that they're not alone! They need someone to say "thanks for your service." Those unexpected boosts from folks like the checkout guy can really help get you through another day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to find you!!!
    Bless you and your husband!!!
    I will keep you in my prayers.
    come by and visit my blog any time!
    Peggy gatto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Georgie, You are proud of your husband, and that is so uplifting. As an Army Ranger he must be in constant danger. He is sacrificing his life for all of "us". What an admirable job he has chosen! I, along with hundreds of thousands of other Americans thank him for his sacrifice for our freedom. Thank you,too. "They also serve who stand and wait." (author?) God bless you both.
    Danette Magilligan

    ReplyDelete